Choosing the Right Vet for Your Pet

Adopting A Dog And First Time Owning One? Watch Out For These Dangerous Foods

If you are adopting a dog and this is the first time you have owned a dog, you may not know a lot about them. One thing you should know is what you should not feed them. Even though there are some human foods you can give them, there are others that are dangerous. Keep reading so you can keep your new dog happy and healthy.


Chocolate is dangerous for your dog because it contains a substance called methylxanthines. This substance is found in cocoa beans, which is one of the ingredients used when making chocolate.

If your dog ingests this, it can cause your pet to vomit and have diarrhea. It also causes your dog to have excessive thirst, seizures, tremors, hyperactivity, and sometimes even death.


Many nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, and almonds, contain high amounts of fats and oils, which will cause your dog to have an upset stomach. Many nuts are packaged in high amounts of salt, which is also bad for your dog.

You can give your dog small amounts of peanut butter occasionally as long as it is creamy. They could also occasionally have peanuts that are unshelled and without any salt.

Garlic and Onions

Garlic and onions provide your food with a lot of flavor, but your dog will not appreciate it if you feed this food to them. It does affect cats more than dogs, but your dog could still become sick. In fact, eating garlic and onions are poisonous for your dog. If you accidentally feed your dog either of these, some symptoms you may see them have are asthma attacks, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, as well as skin infections.


Dogs that spend time outdoors may find mushrooms growing and they could possibly eat them. Mushrooms can be toxic for your dog, and if they eat any it can cause things like seizures, excessive drooling, coma, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and stomach pain.

This is a common problem for dogs, as they spend time outdoors, and they may see a mushroom growing and eat it. If your dog spends a lot of time outdoors, make sure you watch them closely. You should also inspect your yard to see if you have any mushrooms growing.

As soon as you see any of these symptoms, take your dog to a veterinarian to have them checked. Make sure you tell them the food that you fed them so they will know the best way to treat them.